Pages

Tuesday 22 April 2014

Planning and jobs

No one likes to plan, but planning can bring you very far! As you’re approaching the end of the year, instead of taking each day as it comes, why not plan a holiday or apply for a job over the summer to earn some extra cash?

I started my first official paid job in a central recruitment and admissions department and the contract was for 4 weeks. In those 4 weeks I made a good amount of money which helped finance my driving lessons (yep they are quite expensive!). After working for that one month there was an opportunity to work during term time which turned out really well and I’m glad I took the chance to extend my experience. Now when I apply for other jobs the employers can see that I have a solid experience from a paid role which is not easy to get with today’s economy. As the portal has been selected to advertise jobs, make the most of it, there might be something you’re interested in. I find that the student jobs advertised on the portal have a decent pay rate as well so it might be better than going straight into a retail job. Also, if graduate employers see that you have had part time work whilst in higher education, it shows that there are no gaps in your education/employment history and it indicates that you are proactive as an individual *brownie points* J


Plan ahead for the next academic year to come, try and find out how many coursework submissions you have and when their deadlines are. Then you know when you have spare time to visit home and book tickets early for cheaper rates! 



No comments:

Post a Comment